10 songs for when it is 1 am and you can't sleep

I, KimmayJ, turn 30 on Saturday. I love getting older, there are so many more things you can do. But 30 is definitely freaking me out. Everyone tells me 30 is when you arrive and is a blast, but right now it feels like an expiration date on my youth. For those in their 20s (or younger) here's a bit of advice: approaching 30 will bring out every bit of neurosis you have spent the last decade fighting. I'm sure the actual day will be better, and the day after fine, but the buildup is the definition of bipolar nostalgia (or maybe that's just me... I hope not). Anyway, being up late with your thoughts requires music. That good friend, Spotify, came to the rescue and I ended up compiling a playlist to get me through to sleep. It is the Ben and Jerry's of music, it probably makes it worse, but it sure helps at the moment. I recommend bookmarking the songs for individual listening if a heavy handed dose of self-reflection isn't quite your thing.


Lana Del Rey- This is What Makes Us Girls
Lorde- 400 Lux (*Royals is not her only great song, I highly recommend her entire album)
Nat King Cole- Smile
Ray Charles & Diana Krall- You Don't Know Me
The Temper Trap- Soldier On
Birdy- The A-Team (*hauntingly gorgeous cover... I'm obsessed)
Amy Winehouse- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow
Elvis Costello- She
The Lumineers- Slow It Down
The Gaslight Anthem- Great Expectations

As usual, you can listen straight through here or listen on Spotify.

Happy (cathartic) listening!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How We Pulled Off a Rainy Day Beach Day in Our Apartment (Tips, Playlist, Recipes)

Mental Realness Vol. 1: Who I Am is Who I Am

New art update!