Quick and Easy Shepherd's Pie

I have to start off by saying that I really want to call this cottage pie, because that's what it is. It is made with beef. But I know that most people don't make their shepherd's pie with lamb. But now you know! Anyway, a rose by any other name or whatever, because no matter what you call it, it is easy and delicious and so comforting.

I always have to make corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day, so I make this the week beforehand. I also love it at Halloween (We like to incorporate our Irish heritage into that holiday as well... Remind me to get back to that this October!) It reheats great, so it is nice to make ahead for meals during the week. One full pan averages 2400 calories and 4 serving, so around 600 calories each. But it is a whole meal in one dish! And with this recipe, there is no way to mess it up!

I like recipes that have few ingredients but taste delicious, so this is a modified recipe that takes all of 30 minutes from start to finish. I start with 1 lb browned ground beef, 1 cup hunts tomato paste (or a jar of your favorite sauce, this time I used a cup of Francesco Rinaldi sauce because that is what I had on hand), and some vegetables. You can use a frozen bag of mixed vegetables, but I can't stand carrots so I used a can of green beans and a can of corn. I brown the ground beef and drain it, then stir in the sauce and veggies and bring it to a boil. If I'm feeling ambitious, I will make some mashed potatoes from potatoes (3 large russets, boil and mash, stir in a cup of milk and a half stick of butter, boom). But, once again, quick and easy often means instant mashed potatoes. Make according to directions for 2 cups worth of mashed potatoes. Take the beef and veg mixture and transfer to an 8x8 square pan. Spread mashed potatoes on top. Cover with 4 slices of cheese (double it up if you really love cheese). Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt and turn golden. Serve hot, and get your Irish pride on!

 *The mixture can be made ahead and refrigerated. If you do, heat it up in a pan real quick or in the microwave for about 2 minutes to get it warm before you top and bake it.



The proper recipe:

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
2 cups veg (mixed veg reccomended- can use 2 cans of your preferred vegetables)
1 cup tomato paste
2 cups prepared mashed potatoes
4-8 slices American or cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Brown ground beef. Drain and return to pan. Stir in vegetaboles and paste and heat through. Transfer mixture to 8x8 square pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Evenly spread mashed potatoes over mixture. Top with cheese. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees until cheese is starting to bubble or turn golden. Serve immediately.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How We Pulled Off a Rainy Day Beach Day in Our Apartment (Tips, Playlist, Recipes)

Mental Realness Vol. 1: Who I Am is Who I Am

New art update!