Why I'm Staying Home This St Patrick's Day

Maybe I'm just old, but I am over going out on St. Patrick's Day, the weekend before, or any time where people are expected to wear green and drink watered down "beer." I have come to hate St. Patrick's Day.

Now, wait a minute. I wear a claddagh ring, I have more shamrock-y stuff lying around my room than a leprechaun in training, and I am one of the four human beings who actually enjoys the sound of bagpipes. My mother was a McLaughlin! If I can't love St. Patrick's Day, who can?

For one, I love that a day is devoted to Irish culture, I hate the bar scene. I love the smell of corned beef and cabbage cooking in my home, I hate the smell of the vomit lining the bar bathroom, entrance way, parking lot, and the hair of half of the people here. I love toasting with a Jameson and cranberry, there are few things more offensive than coloring Miller Lite green and calling it "Irish" beer. I love listening to my favorite Irish artists, I hate the sound of EDM drowning out cheesy pick up lines.

I'm going to have to go with a social justice warrior cliche whatever and point out the blatant cultural appropriation going on here. No, you cannot be Irish American if you aren't indeed Irish American. Green American beer is not Irish (and only tastes a quarter as good as the stuff that you know, is brewed in Ireland). Putting on a fake red beard and taking on a fake accent is not cute, it is not cool with any culture to act as a caricature of their features. That's actually SUPER frowned upon. Equating "being Irish for the day" with getting fall down drunk is downright offensive. In a discussion I just had about staying home vs. going out a former bartender said, "I have cleaned up messes when closing on St. Patrick's Day that rival a crime scene." Why? Because Irish=binge drinking? Sad.

So, I will wear green, I will enjoy some Jameson, I will listen to the Dubliners, and I am certainly enjoying corned beef and cabbage this St. Patrick's Day. What I will not be doing is partaking in what is becoming amateur bro binge drinking hour because somehow this instance of stereotyping and appropriation is fun so it gets a pass. Maybe I am just too old to enjoy getting "white girl wasted" and wearing my bar neighbor's Coors.


For non-frat boy celebration ideas: an Irish playlist for tunesShepherd's Pie (because I know most people don't like cabbage)

KimmayJ is an Irish American Princess who thinks meat and potatoes and a good drink are all one needs in life. Oh, and love. She writes funny things but talks about this love affair with food A LOT.  You can also follow her on facebookinstagramtumblrpinterest, and twitter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How We Pulled Off a Rainy Day Beach Day in Our Apartment (Tips, Playlist, Recipes)

Mental Realness Vol. 1: Who I Am is Who I Am

New art update!