Art is Immortal: Inspiration Can Be Found in Unexpected Places

Recently, I took an excursion to the Philadelphia Museum of Art to view their Visions of Arcadia exhibit. This was a well put together exclusive showing of classic and modern paintings, sculptures, and poetry that draw upon the French theme of Earthly paradise. With works from Cezanne, Matisse, and Gauguin headlined, I knew this would be one that I would enjoy. And I did. The Bathers do not disappoint;  Gauguin's "Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going?" is enigmatic, beautiful, and thought provoking; Rousseau's "The Dream" is vibrant; Delaunay's "The City of Paris" fabulously meshes the modern and classic in a way that you want to go back to review it one more time. The whole thing was absolutely charming, and it is a shame if anyone misses it.

Afterwards, I took a tour of the American Art wing. I will admit, I am a Europhile snob and do not often give credit to American artists where it is due. This wing features Shaker and early American art, which is simply not my thing. But, that is how art goes. What one person loves, just does not inspire someone else. I would love some of the furniture in my home, and the paintings are technical masterpieces. I am not trying to knock it, just expressing personal taste.

But there was a painting in a corner that grabbed me. It is by William Merritt Chase (Read more about his influence in his Met bio) of a student of his, Annie Traquair Lang, entitled Portrait of a Lady in Black (follow the link for the PMA bio of the painting and to view an image). I was instantly captivated by her face. The moxie, spirit, and humor in this proper, dainty face- I wanted to befriend her instantly! I could not look away, I wanted to know more about her. Who was she? Why was she the subject of the painting? What became of her? I instantly liked her. This woman, who I will never meet, who died 50 years before my birth will be forever preserved in this painting, still raising questions 100 years after her death.

Man's body may not be immortal. Yet, good art transcends time. We work hard to preserve the works we love, use their creations and words to continue to inspire and evolve culture and society long after the artist has passed. Such works can be found anywhere. I found my favorite piece of the day in a wing I had never second glanced at, despite many trips to the museum. Look around you to find the next piece that may spark your muse, it may be found in unexpected places. The artistic spirit will always live on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How We Pulled Off a Rainy Day Beach Day in Our Apartment (Tips, Playlist, Recipes)

Mental Realness Vol. 1: Who I Am is Who I Am

New art update!