Earl Grey Crème Brûlée and a Philadelphia Landmark

Today is a sad day. I learned that my favorite dessert, earl grey crème brûlée, was taken off the menu at Granite Hill at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. It was what dreams were made of and perfect way to cap off a visit to one of my favorite places to wander. I am not one to throw a tantrum, but I have sent them a message asking if it will come back on a fall or winter seasonal menu.

Despite this change, I will still go back to eat there often. It is a Stephen Starr establishment that lives up to the reputation. A delectable chef's table, a perfect hamburger, inspired drinks, and seasonal French cuisine are the staples of this minimalistic- AKA perfected menu. The service is also delightful and polite, and the manager oversees that every dish is sent out at top quality. I cannot speak highly enough of how much Granite Hill adds the perfect cap to a beautiful day at the museum.

Okay, so what to do about the  crème brûlée ? Find a recipe and make it yourself! (Gasp! I know! Everyone knows food tastes better when someone else makes it. So, if you aren't the cooking type, enlist a friend!) I found one that sounds promising. By the way, if you are unfamiliar with earl grey  crème brûlée , it is a custardy tea with milk added. I call it a warm English hug.

I have compiled this recipe from several sources, and adapted for 6 servings. I often find for 4 or 8, which seems to be too much or not enough. Some variations you will see around use only heavy creme, but you can cut it with half and half and still get a good taste (with less calories!). Oh, and one awesome thing some may notice- this is gluten free!


Needed:
2 cups heavy creme
1 cup half and half
1/3 cup+8 tsp granulated white sugar
2 Tbsp loose leaf earl grey tea or 6 tea bags
9 egg yolks
1/2 to 1 tsp vanilla extract (to taste)

6 ramekins
a cooking torch

1. Place oven rack in mid-lower position, preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit
2. In saucepan, combine 1 cup creme, 1 cup half and half, 1/3 cup sugar, and tea leaves or tea bags. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
3. Take 2 baking dishes and place a towel on the bottom of each baking dish. Place 3 ramekins on each baking dish. Do not allow ramekins to touch each other or the side of the pan. Boil a kettle of water.
4. Stir remaining heavy creme into steeped mixture. In separate bowl, whisk the vanilla extract and egg yolks. Whisk 1/4 of mixture into the eggs, and repeat until it is all combined.
5. Strain into the ramekins, leaving the tea leaves in the strainer.
6. Pour the boiling water from the kettle into the baking dish, until it is two thirds up the ramekins.
7. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until the center has reached 170-175 degrees Fahrenheit.  Transfer ramekins to wire rack and cool.
8. Cover with plastic and cool in refrigerator for a minimum of four hours and a maximum of four days.
9. When ready to serve, sprinkle sugar evenly across the top of each ramekin of custard. I like mine with a good crisp, so I recommend a bit of a heavy hand on the sugar. Use less if desired. Torch using slow motions until caramelized. Refrigerate uncovered for 30 minutes.
10. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Let me know how much you like this, I guarantee it will be delicious!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How We Pulled Off a Rainy Day Beach Day in Our Apartment (Tips, Playlist, Recipes)

Mental Realness Vol. 1: Who I Am is Who I Am

New art update!